I've returned to SoCal and I am back at my grandparent's place. What a blessing! They've been the pivot point for every turn in my life and, as always, are a joy to live with. Right now I'm making a total mess of their guest room. I had stored my car at their house for the few months I was in Minneapolis... my car full of everything that I had when I moved out of Jacob's place. Now almost all the contents of my car have filled this room, putting it a short step from total disarray.
The first time I remember staying here at my grandparent's house is when we'd get ready to return to the Philippines. This was our "almost headed to the airport" location on many occasions. I actually lived here for the first time after High School. Graduation and all the bam-shbam that goes with that, and then our class scatters around the world to their respective foreign "home countries." I remember the dismay I felt as the airplane carrying me to LA broke below the cloud layer as we came in to land. Did I belong here? Sad and in an inward tumult of confused emotions, I got to Grandma and Grandpa's house and it became home.
A year later I left home to join OM's ship ministries. My cabin on the ship remained the same for the two years on-board, but the whole ship felt like home. It is hard to believe that as I write this the good-ship Doulos is being handed over to new owners, never to sail again, and even undergoing a name change. I began my journey onboard the Doulos in Douala, Cameroon (West Africa) and finished my time in Saint-Nazaire, France. Flying back to the US, I was filled with a familiar, though no less painful, sadness of leaving precious companions, but thankfully didn't have the same internal confusion as I had before upon arriving from High School.
I came back to my grandparent's house. To home and it's familiar routines. Mowing the lawn. Avocado on sourdough bread. The floral bordered guest room. Grandma's sowing machine and grandpa's grapefruit. The bountiful fruit-trees in the backyard. Did I mention avocados? ^^ After settling back into life in the US and finding a good job, I left to live with friends closer to my age. I changed location four or five times and got my degree in the meanwhile. And.. here I am again, at their house, preparing in these few weeks for the next adventure.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
This post could have been WAAY longer. Even before going to Minneapolis, it was here that I left from. I'd intended to put photos up from all the different stages of being here, but that might have to wait for a later revision.
Such a nice post! I agree wholeheartedly that your grandparents and their home has been a wonderful point of stability for this nomadic family member. I can never thank them enough, but hope to be the same someday for my grand kids and great grand kids.
I agree as well Luke- your grandparents and their home have been so vital to so many people...I am so thankful for their interest and welcoming of me during the early stages of Nathan and I's courtship. They are such lovely people...
carol
I have so many feelings about Gma and Gpas house... and them. What an oasis it is even for those of us who have never gone very far. Now I'm so glad that Anders is getting to experience the joy and comfort that is the La Habra house. Avocados on toast, fruit trees, the comforting routine.... What a blessing they are to all of us grandkids and now great-grands.
Btw, so good to see you yesterday! I'm excited for your new adventure too. =)
I do love this post. Mom and Dad have been such a stable and loving part of all of our lives. What a blessing they are!
So well said, Luke! And to think they have been that welcoming for 60 years! What a blessing to so many!
Aunt G
You explained Gma and Gpa's home so well...no matter where I've been, it's always so homey to return to their house...the clock ticking away, the smell of peaches and toast, everything just the same as I left it!
Erin
Post a Comment