Wednesday, June 08, 2011

May was for wandering (pt.1)

I'm back in SoCal, and at my grandparent's house.

Where was I? Everywhere! (on the west coast). There's been a nice lull between one overseas job and the upcoming overseas job and this space has allowed for some in-US traveling to see close friends and family. My somewhat large family is both scattered and surprisingly mobile. My sister Ariana and her family have been in the US for only a short while (after a term in Germany) and are gearing up for the next big adventure near Cambridge, England. Their "unscheduled" time is almost identical to the time I have. Upon leaving Germany they decided to enjoy Europe a bit on the way back and you can read all about that on her blog. She has a lot of fantastic pictures as well!

The trip in May was mainly north and then back south. At the start of the trip a group of SoCal and MidCal friends first went camping at the beautiful Montana de Oro Park near San Luis Obispo. We've been in each other's lives for at least seven or eight years and it was good to have a break and just go camping. This was also my first opportunity to try out my camping hammock which I'd bought more than a year before. (it worked great!)

From camping I visited Lem in San Jose, and went for a bike trip around the Bay area while he was working. I brought my bike with me on the road trip, strapped to the back of my little car. I'm really glad I did because even the time biking around SF made it worth it. That's a beautiful city. While I was biking I did get yelled at by some runner who was convinced that I was his friend named Dave. I circled back and asked who on earth this "Dave" was, hoping it'd be someone famous, but it was just a friend. He was so surprised I wasn't him. Random. Met up with some other friends in SF and then continued on up north...


To Eugene! (Oregon) What a beautiful drive that is! One of my favorite places to drive is through Weed and onward to Yreka. It's near Mt. Shasta and the area is just so expansive, but hemmed in by surrounding mountains. I'm always dazzled by that. Another majestic point is driving past/over Shasta Lake. And .. and and.. there are too many areas to recount here. I made it to Eugene to see the Kryzmowskis and their +1 member. Will was finishing his architechtural degree at UO (now finished, yay!).


From Eugene I drove eastward to Bend, OR to see my sister Ariana (who I mentioned earlier) and her family. They'd only recently moved into the little house they were renting, so I got to enjoy their minimalist lifestyle. Driving to their place was yet another gorgeous drive from low and hyper lush forests and rain, up through the pass and to the highland desert area where Bend is. The McKenzie river runs beside much of the road and it was hard to resist stopping along the way. Bend was another area that made me glad I brought my bike as I took a couple trips around the city. (It's a nice small city!)

No comments: