Wednesday, November 16, 2005

my sun(spot) is big


Here's a quote from spaceweather.com
"BIG SUNSPOT: Sunspot 822 is enormous. From end to end it stretches some 140,000 km, about the diameter of Jupiter. [...] Sunspot 822 is crackling with M-class solar flares. So far the explosions have not affected Earth, but this could change in the days ahead. The sunspot is turning to face our planet, increasing the chances of an Earth-directed eruption."


The above photo is taken with a special filter. The green hue helps the astronomers see particular details that aren't visible with other wavelengths. You can also take a look at the sun with a blue filter, and a yellow filter. Other pictures just show the Corona. All this can be found at this site.

1 comment:

Luke said...

well.. actually the effects of a solar storm aren't that significant to our actual weather, from what I've read and understand. It IS significant with regards to our Satellites, Radio communications, and (best of all) our auroras. With a hefty sized flare in our direction, there can be auroras seen as far south as Pheonix AR!!

Sorry I can't say that you days will be shockingly warmer in the coming week. I don't think I have the gift of foreknowledge nor meterological expertise. I do appreciate your comment/question though as I was beginning to wonder if solar stuff really is a dead topic to people. (which, actually, it might still seem to be).